has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what
your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a
- To me,
the remembrance of our last parting has been ever mournful and painful.
knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the
blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts.
- There was a long hard time when I kept far from me the remembrance of what I had thrown away when I was quite ignorant of its worth.
- Ask no questions, and you’ll be told no lies.
- You have been in every line I have read since I came here.
- You have been in every prospect I have ever seen since ,– on the river, on the sails of ships, on the marshes, in the clouds, in the light, in the darkness, in the wind, in the woods, in the sea, in the streets.
- You have been the embodiment of every graceful fancy that my mind has ever been acquainted with.
- I stole her heart away and put ice in its place.
- If you knew my story you would have some compassion for me and a better understanding of me.
- No varnish can hide the grain of the wood; and that the more varnish you put on, the more the grain will express itself.
- Take all the praise, take all the blame; take all the success, take all the failure; in short, take me.
- Would it be weakness to return my love?
- I must be taken as I have been made. The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me.
- Scattered wits take a long time picking up; and often before I had got them well together, they would be dispersed in all directions by one stray thought.
- “I’ll tell you,” said she, in the same hurried passionate whisper, “what real love is. It is blind devotion, unquestioning self-humiliation, utter submission, trust and belief against yourself and against the whole world, giving up your whole heart and soul to the smiter—as I did!”
- I work pretty hard for a sufficient living, and therefore – yes, I do well.
- I kept myself to myself and my thoughts.
- We are to love our neighbor.
- If a man is not his own neighbor, who is?
- It’s something to have seen the object of one’s love and duty for even so short time.
- When those noble passages were read which remind humanity how it brought nothing into the world and can take nothing out.
- He knows my total deficiency of common human gratitoode.